View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
Klip
Enthusiast
Klip began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm pretty sure that I have the semantics correct, Toxaris. I double checked now, and the document validates in Sigil, for what that's worth!

The value for “content” matches the image file’s “item id” as specified in the “manifest” section lower down in this file - in this case, “coverimage”.

The image's item in the manifest looks like this:
<item href="Images/cover.jpeg" id="coverimage" media-type="image/jpeg" />

When the page that contains the cover image is set as the first item in the spine, the cover appears in ADE. When I set it as the second or item in the spine, it no longer appears as the cover in ADE.

I borrowed an iPad to check this on, and ( I think!) the cover showed as the image whether or not the page was first in the spine, as long as it was identified in that meta-tag. But I no longer have that iPad so I dont have any way to test whether this is just an ADE thing, or whether I have, indeed, messed up somewhere.

I found this link http://epingsoft.com/blog/?p=30

Which says that
"Adobe(and all devices based on its SDK) will consider the first HTML page as coverpage and get it as cover automatically, while Apple and some other devices only recognize a defined cover picture(not a page).
So if there’s no cover page of a ePub book, ADE will use the screenshot of the first page as cover, while Apple will not."

Which I interpret as meaning that Apple devices look for that metatag, and ADE does not. What am I not understanding?
Klip is offline   Reply With Quote