View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
av8or
av8or began at the beginning.

Device: nook touch
Thumbs down Fight for your storage back!

ok, i was loving my new touch this weekend until i couldn't figure out why it only showed 240mb of memory for my side loaded material (lots of large technical pdfs with schematics, diagrams, etc) after speaking with the online chat support i found out about the partition restriction.
i'm surprised there isn't more of an uproar about this than there is, its just mentioned in passing in threads on here.
well i wrote a letter to b&n
Service@barnesandnoble.com
bnmanagementdigital@book.com
i respectfully suggest anyone else annoyed by this misstep to do the same, maybe we can get the memory we paid for back.

Quote:
I'm writing to express my extreme displeasure in B&N's decisions with the setup of the new nook touch.
Specifically the allocation of the 2gb on-board memory. At first I thought there was something wrong with my new nook touch that I upgraded to from my wifi only 1st gen nook, as it only showed 240 some odd mb of memory instead of the 2gb I thought I had purchased. After chatting with an online support person they informed me that B&N decided to partition the memory to make the lions share of the 2gb only available for B&N downloads. This is wholly unacceptable, one of the selling points of the nook is its relative 'openness' in comparison to some of its competitors. Cutting out access to all of the storage that is advertised and that WE PAID TO USE is akin to the kind of restrictive and draconian measures that apple or amazon would take. I use my nook for my work manuals and depending on which manuals I have or their size, it is not inconceivable to have greater than the amount of storage B&N decided to "allow" us to use when you consider pdf's with numerous technical diagrams and schematics and our own photos for the screensaver.
I strongly suggest this issue be rectified in a firmware release freeing up all of the memory we as users paid for, to use as we please. Stating that I can use a microsd card for additional storage is not acceptable, I purchased this under the auspices that I was getting 2gb of storage, I shouldn't have to purchase additional memory to keep my side-loaded files on.
I will be making the rounds on various message boards to try to spread this message.

If this issue isn't rectified I will take my business elsewhere and acquire books from other sources. I'll never purchase a book from B&N and encourage all my family and friends who have 1st gen nooks to do so as well.

Thank you for your time and attention in this.
av8or
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote