View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Angry Sloppy eBooks from major publisher

I just purchased Stephen Hawking's A Briefer History of Time in Mobipocket format from Mobipocket. My complaints are not directed toward Mobipocket, but against the publisher, Bantam Books. Although the book itself is well written and a pleasure to read, Bantam has done an incredibly sloppy job of formatting it.

They have overlooked countless typos, my favorite being "bv" rather than "by". This one has occurred several times in the first 25% of the book. Another often occurring typo is to separate the first letter of a word from the rest of the word by inserting a space. The most annoying sloppiness though is how they incorporated images into the text. Every image I've encountered, and there are many of them, are ackwardly inserted in the middle of a paragraph, and in the middle of a sentence! I had to pay the ridiculous price of US $20.95 for this eBook, twic what I could have bought the paperback for. You would think that Bantam would at least proof read the eBook version before releasing it and that they would hire technicians that can actually format eBooks. But apparently not.