View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #58
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Fair enough. It is a nice hat. Do we get to read the story about Spain?

I truly believe that artists will always create, writers will always write, painters will always paint, whether they are paid or not. And I truly believe that they are more true to their selves when they are not getting paid, because then it's not a job, it's a calling.

There is one thing to be said about money though. It can afford an artist the luxury to concentrate on his art, instead of worrying about everyday life. It also probably makes him compromise this art, even just a little, to ensure getting paid again.
I find the problem with money (and you've illustrated it well) is that it's all too easy for it to take control. You start out with good intentions but then you're talking to a detestable ten-percenter in some restaurant where you'd never eat normally, drinking expensive water and listening to some drone go on about potential markets and numbers as though it's actually interesting. Then you're slanting your work because you need to get into the YA market (I hate that classification with a passion. The most insulting two letters in the English language today). Then you're on some talk show answering the questions of some dead-eyed insipid creature with too much make-up and too little brain. Before long you're extremely rich and living in some mansion with an indoor swimming pool and a brainless ex-playboy model who only thinks about sex and pleasuring you in...hang on!

EDIT: The Spain stories I want to put out as a collection in the future. I have so many I want to tell. Like the one about the lonely fisherman me, my dad and uncle sat with one night until three in the morning sharing sangria, cigarettes and stories. Or the insect I met walking back one night from the town, which was the biggest thing I'd ever seen and was almost human in its reaction to me. Or the storm I witness one siesta when the whole town was deserted. Or the ones about my grandfather...there are hundreds of them.

Last edited by Moejoe; 06-06-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote