View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
rathecs
sci fi Connoisseur
rathecs can self-interpret dreams as they happen.rathecs can self-interpret dreams as they happen.rathecs can self-interpret dreams as they happen.rathecs can self-interpret dreams as they happen.rathecs can self-interpret dreams as they happen.rathecs can self-interpret dreams as they happen.rathecs can self-interpret dreams as they happen.rathecs can self-interpret dreams as they happen.rathecs can self-interpret dreams as they happen.rathecs can self-interpret dreams as they happen.rathecs can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Excerpts from Halfway to Infinity

Hmm, you know, its not fair to just say, "this is a great story read now!" A few excerpts are in place to understand how much fun I get from reading my own story (I know, that sounds self-absorbed but really I spent a decade crafting this thing and it turned out better than I expected).
To start things off, here's an excerpt from chapter 6. The pilot has gone mad, they are going faster than the speed of light, no one is steering the ship, and something's heading their way:

“Shoot it to oblivion,” shouted Hakes.
“We cannot get a lock on it,” Ladeen shouted back.
“Engineer, can you not fly the ship you built?”
Throb yelled, “The control system was specially designed for S.A. You could not even begin to comprehend the complexity…”
“Do you know how to trigger the emergency shut-off?” cried Listine.
“We are not accelerating,” shouted Throb above the sirens, “The engine is not even on right now. We are just going at a tremendous speed! We need to reverse thrust!”
“Get down!” Hakes grabbed Alsp, and grabbed hold of the pilot’s chair.
It was too late. Later it would be determined that a piece of matter the size of a pebble had penetrated the Infinity One. The quadium shield was not enough to deflect it; the electro-magnetic shield was not enough to destroy it. The small pebble shattered the front pane and destroyed the back wall. The remaining energy from this explosion ravaged parts of the engine room. Throb, Prog, and Ladeen, were thrown out through the shattered pane and into open space.
rathecs is offline   Reply With Quote