View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I've been using the Aura for 3-4 weeks, after having used the Touch for 2 years.

The larger, sharper screen of the Aura is nice, but honestly I don't think it makes much difference to reading books. There's a bit more text per page, and the finer detail means you can get away with a smaller font, but I just don't notice it while reading.

I wanted to update primarily for the glow light. I do find the Touch a bit difficult to read in low-light, low contrast situations. While I've tried a couple of clip-on lights, I didn't like them (issues with glare, uneven coverage). The Aura glow light is excellent, well worth updating for that alone, although it's questionable if it's enough better than the Kobo Glo to justify the price for that alone.

I dislike the hard, sharp-edged feel and the extra size/weight of the Aura compared to the Touch, especially when I pick up one right after the other, although again it tends to fade into the background while reading.

I don't think anything else makes a big difference between them, at least not to me. Extra battery life of the Aura is nice to have, but not essential. Ditto for the improved use of the extra size on the home screen. I've never been in danger of exceeding the 2 Gbyte memory of the Touch. No noticeable difference in performance, although the Aura is dealing with more pixels per screen, and it does start up faster from the powered-off state.

Last edited by FJames; 05-23-2013 at 03:33 PM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote