View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_pb View Post
Thanks for that, geekmaster. I have now found out that Australia Post will not carry any items with lithium batteries, and a courier to the US would cost around $70, so it makes the whole enterprise of sending the Kindle for replacement somewhat uneconomical. I'll just have to hang on to it and hope one of the developers here does come up with a fix.
Thanks again & cheers.
I have a fix that uses only the USB port. It does not require removing the back cover or using the internal serial port. I can do a FULL factory restore, making your kindle just like when it was fresh from the factory. After this full factory restore, you kindle will even ask you which language you want to use. The only requirement is that you supply a backup copy of mmcblk0p1 (the root partition) from it or another kindle of the same model.

My fix also allows restoring the full /var/local partition back to factory defaults without losing the USB drive contents, for cases where /var/local became full and bricked a kindle because of too many books causing a large collections database.

It also allows less-invasive methods of finding missing or damaged files, and replacing individual files with original files, extracted from a user-supplied backup of mmcblk0p1 or backup copies of individual files.

And for those who have experience with linux shell commands, my fix also allows file system exploration at a root shell prompt, so that you can manually repair damage to the main root file system, by booting from the diagnostic partition and pushing a reverse shell to a host PC using netcat (nc).

I am making a debricking tool that uses my fix, which will work for both the k4nt and the touch, while designing it to be more automated, more foolproof, more user-friendly, and simplifying it so that using it will require a minimum of technical expertise...

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-10-2012 at 04:56 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote