View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Why the heck do they setup margins using pixels?!

I've noticed over the past year or so that ebook formatting as a whole has gotten better. It's far from where it should be and it's inconsistent, but it is definitely improving. The one frustration I keep running into is the fact that so many publishers are setting up margins, indents, line heights, etc. using pixels rather than em or some other logical unit of measure. A top margin of 15.0px may leave a small gap when trying to offset some text and look good on a lower resolution 5 or 7 inch reader/tablet, but it looks practically non-existent on a 1200x1920 resolution tablet reader like my Nook HD+ or my wife's Kindle HD 8.9.

Why would someone pick something arbitrary like pixels when using em size makes so much more sense? That way the gap increases or decreases with the font-size that the reader is using and the space looks closer to what the publisher likely had in mind originally.

Anyway, that was my three-minute gripe/observation.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote