Thread: PRS-950 PRS+ Font Help
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
PRS+ Font Help

I've kind of been pinging all over the Mobile Read forum because I'm not sure where this topic goes... but I've been having a lot of issues with getting the font perfect on my PRS-950. Here's the saga so far:

1. I've successfully loaded PRS+ on my reader. (Thank you, PRS+ team!)

2. I've figured out how to load fonts and create the custom CSS files.

3. I've used the Calibre modify-epub plugin to remove embedded fonts from my epub books.

Seems like the hard stuf is over and now I just need to find a font that I like. Problem is, all the fonts I like look weird on the Sony -- they look really thick and bold. I figured this was just an artifact of the reader, until I hit on the bright idea to load Charis -- the font that all my font-embedded epubs were using -- to the reader.

Sure enough, loading Charis onto the reader and using it gives me a really thick, bolded version of Charis -- very different from the way the font-embedded epubs used to look when they were using embedded Charis.

At this point, it would seem that the culprit is my user-defined CSS that I'm creating and using with PRS+. I do not speak CSS, so it wouldn't surprise me. All I know is that the CSS I'm using does work in the sense that it invokes the correct font, but it makes the font bold and thick and unpleasant. Can anyone -- PRS+ expert, font changing guru, CSS programmer -- tell me what I'm doing wrong, please?

Th CSS shell I have now is this:

Code:
@font-face {
font-family: "Charis";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Charis-Regular.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Charis-Bold.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: normal;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Charis-Italic.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Charis-BoldItalic.ttf);
}

body {
font-family: "Charis", serif;
}

.calibre {
font-family: "Charis", serif;
}
The font-embedded epubs had quite a few more lines including some font-size: 1em stuff. I tried loading THAT to the CSS, but nothing seemed to change. I may have been doin' it rong.

Code snippet from embedded epub that I'm using for comparison purposes:

Code:
.calibre {
    background-color: #FFF;
    display: block;
    font-size: 1em;
    line-height: 1.2;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 5pt;
    margin-right: 5pt;
    margin-top: 0;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0;
    text-align: center
    }
Thank you in advance, and sorry for pinging all over the board.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote