View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Dzha
Dzha began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
FBReader for Kindle

All,

I have got my hands on a new DXG yesterday.
The only thing I really liked about it is the screen. It looks good .
The rest of it, namely firmware/readers/library/controls can be described as complete crap . Whoever designed it for use with 3500 books, should show me how to navigate through this amount to a specific book. Simple use case, probably will take ages if you be able find anything at all. System is prohibitive when you try to organize your books yourself and puts them all into one pile anyway (inexcusable for modern software). Collections are laughable (and linked to the registration? - insult!). How much time do you need to manually create a collection and shove every book (out of 3500) into one?? Hours??

I've searched this forum, some other blogs/sources etc. and found that there is nothing alternative can be found. At the same time:

1. Kernel is open sauce, available, built independently.
2. QT is available with some great examples (like sudoku for kindle, includes keyboard, joystick and screen plugins)
3. FBreader source is available. Already ported to many Linux based platforms(maemo, irex).

So, isn't it just about making it all work together with kindle?
I think if we can all agree on approach then it is doable.
Of course proper PDF reader is a dream.

My view on approaches (out of naivety):

1. Build a layer on top the kernel to make it close to generic Unix platform and adopt existing open source apps for it. High effort, long term.
2. Build FBreader with QT (using the sudoku experience). Should be possible to run it stand alone and load fb2 from the file system. Medium effort, short term project.

Please, tell me what you think.
Dzha is offline   Reply With Quote