View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
Don't confuse memory with storage. :P
Unless we have an English translation problem, computer "memory" and "storage" are EXACTLY the same thing. The two types of "memory storage" used in the kindles just happen to use different technology: one is faster, and the other is nonvolatile. The latest generations of flash memory are so fast that computers will only have one kind of memory storage in the future, with no artificial separation between fast memory and nonvolatile memory like we use now. They will just have a LOT of fast nonvolatile memory.

Background Information:
Spoiler:
Computers have been my hobby, my job, and my LIFE for half a century. I still have some core memory from one of my early computers. I recently ripped apart my last reel-to-reel computer tape drive (like in old Sci-Fi movies) to steal the servo motors for a CNC project. I still have a 12MB hard drive the size of a clothes washing machine. It contains code that I wrote back in the day.

I have designed and built computer hardware, and I have written operating system device drivers and mission-critical firmware. I have designed character fonts and rendering engines. I have studied the code inside PDF rendering engines. I am not confused easily by computers. People on the other hand, are a complete mystery to me...

The point of my post is that PDF files made up of IMAGES instead of OCR text can be very large files, and can consume a lot of RAM for the currently displayed page, and any cached pages used to speed up page changes.

Some people complain that I use too many words, and others incorrectly "fill in the blanks" when I do not use enough words, and then suggest that I do not understand. You cannot make everybody happy...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-14-2012 at 01:47 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote