View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Straven View Post
Kolenka, I like the idea of keeping a single version, but good scans have big file sizes (1+ MB for covers, 200-300KB for pages). Page turns for these are ~1 second as opposed to ~1/2 second for manga2cbz processed images.
Oh, I never said we should ignore this tool because /I/ don't keep around multiple CBZs, don't get me wrong, I just optimized the plugin so that perf of keeping around these archival quality CBZs was acceptable to me.

I keep around some high-quality scans myself, 500KB covers (in JPEG), and 200-500KB pages (in JPEG). I've not really noticed the perf gains from the plugin end that you mention. UDS does do some weird things at times, but the plugin is happily pre-loading pages /almost/ as fast as someone can trigger a page flip with these larger files. And with the pre-loaded pages, the loading times of the larger files are pretty much hidden entirely if you are actually reading the comic.

Pixel size could also be coming into play, but all my stuff is in the 1200 to 1600px range for the longest side.

PNGs are actually slower to load than JPEGs when they get big (over 1MB). That is where I notice most of the lag.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote