View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #27
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Why am I still saying this NOW? Precisely because there're so many converts now, I'm wondering: why did you switch to ebooks? Have you forgotten the pleasure of books browsing, or is the e-book experience comparable to that of the old-school experience? Or has convenience displaced experience?
None of the above. Holding most trade paperbacks hurts, badly, to the point of either being impossible or leaving me in too much pain to read deadtreebooks (or do a lot of other stuff) the next day. Some books have fonts too small for me to read. I'm also fussy about which fonts I am comfortable and happy reading in. Some books I like to buy when they're released, not when they finally turn up in the shops in my country. I like to be able to carry my ereader when I go out, instead of finding a way to lug a giant deadtreebook; and I need to carry more than three or four books when I travel. And lastly, until last year, treebooks were taking over my house and harbouring dust which creates health issues for my family. We have more space and slightly cleaner air now that we only have five full bookcases of treebooks.

Quote:
One of my greatest pleasure is to stroll in the bookstore and discovering books - sometimes by their cover, other times by their spines.
How nice for you. I can't roll around the bookshops here, they're inaccessible. I can generally get to the front displays of bestsellers, and that's it. Sometimes I can't even access the register counter.

Quote:
With ebooks, you don't get that. Searching by keywords on Smashwords? Clicking on 'People who browsed this also bought...' on Amazon? Yeah, helpful, but not enjoyable. A flat experience no different from Googling online.
No. I have a large wishlist based mostly on recommendations from friends and partly from reviews from trusted sources. I am lucky to have many literate friends who are voracious readers and read in similar genres to the ones I do.

You're making way, way too many assumptions about, well, everything.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote