View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #14
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLight95 View Post
Which device would you rate better overall for reading PDFs--the Sony or the nook? Can the nook zoom like the Sony?

I like firmware updates on all my devices (even my home DVD player, an oppo), so that's a minor drawback for the Sony. I just watched the video demo of Calibre. Apparently it converts any file your reader does not support. How good are these conversions?

Do you use Inept to strip Adobe's DRM?

So many Qs! I leaning towards the Sony because it seems a more open platform.
I believe only the Sony 600 & 900 can zoom - I don't see that option on my Nook. I don't really need it - I just let the device reflow since I'm reading text PDFs.

I've converted LIT, MOBI, PRC, PDF and eReader/.pdb to ePub using Calibre. The first three look great. eReader does not convert as nicely (and takes a few more steps to unlock) and PDF looks lousy. I have better luck doing it one of three other ways:

1. leave as PDF just let the device reflow - fine for most fiction PDFs
2. open in Apple Preview or Adobe Acrobat Pro and copy the text into Sigil - good for books with Drop Capitals at the top of chapters, since they garble the first paragraph of every chapter when converted and that has to be manually fixed
3. convert to .prc using Mobipocket Creator, and then have Calibre convert the .prc to ePub - best for books with pictures (like autobiographies/memoirs with the picture section)

And yes, I strip ALL my books using the various Python scripts. This also gives me the freedom to use all the formats my library offers - they still have Mobipocket for a lot the early book in series. I do not keep or redistribute the unlocked library files.

I've barely looked at a command line in my computer life, but I have managed to figure it out with a few hints from here and create some shortcuts/instructions for myself so I don't forget. There is an apprentice named Alf who has a helpful blog.

I really like both the Sonys I have, but the Nook is pretty sexy with its 3G and WiFi I fall in love with each of them for a different reason every time I pick one up. I'm blaming the indecisiveness (and obsessiveness) on postpartum hormones
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote