View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #34
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Let's summarise the actual article:

- a library without books?
- ebook readers can hold lots of books and they're more transportable
- I love paper. That might just be me.
- rows and rows of pbooks inspire awe. That might just be me too.
- I like knowing how far through a story I am. Computers don't tell me that.
- ebook readers might encourage skimming
- pbooks offer no distractions
- ebook readers need to be recharged
- ebook readers can be hacked/file-modified
- I hope all libraries don't do this

Meh. I think the 'oh fer crying out loud' gang have a fair point here
I'm not really sure about the "no distraction" point. This moment, ereaders/liseuses don't have much to be distracted by- it's not a computer with internet and games and so on. I really begin to think the author played with the idea of using for real an electronic device for her reading, but never got her hands on one. Or maybe "blocked" it (like grannies saying "VCR is tooooo complicate for me" like mine does).

As for the rest, I'd like to point out to the author some books (pbooks, if she wants ) about censure through the age. Forbidden and banned books, in every format, don't have a nice, quiet life- physical censorship (as in paper glued to pages/passages or ink blotted), book fires, processes (think about Les Fleurs du Mal) and other "niceties" were all too common.

At least one good thing out of the article is that I found the golden reason to love readers: don't (usually) have to fear about not using a bookmark or having somebody misplacing it (or the book if you placed the pbook opened upside down).
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote