View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
On a kindle discussion list I follow, we were asked our opinion of social reading. As an introvert, I find the whole concept of social reading to be baffling. I find I don't really care what other people highlight in a book (when I got my Paperwhite, one of the first things I did was turn off popular highlights).

Is all this social reading supposed to make reading more attractive to extroverts ? (Hey, reading is *cool* - you don't have to be a four-eyed geek to like to read!) Is it seen really as a way to sell more books, to hasten new book discovery?

Somehow, being an introvert is seen as being un-American, I think. Is it so in other countries?
1) I use goodreads (example of social network) for me. For my own personal track record To get recommendations, and to use that challenge of theirs. I find it fun. I don't use it primarily for socializing nor do I care for highlights. People I have on my list are mostly people I care about and bookworms themselves so occasionally we steal each other books and give recommendations.

2) I don't think reading has anything to do with this introvert/extrovert division. And most of the people is not clean cut one or other but mix. I think that is very prejudicial what you are saying. Like only geeks read, and non-geeks are air-headed extroverts that would rather party.
People read for all kind of reasons, geeks are not exclusive species.

3)I think people have stereotypes about every country/people. And yes the world usually sees Americans as loud, fun, obnoxious and bigger then life types. Its a thing of contrasts.
You can care about stereotypes, and on other hand you don't have to. If you choose to care, then that is just one more thing from the outside to decide your life. In my country it is also perceived as better to be an extrovert, but for one thing I always liked my quiet time more then a party with bunch of people so I don't really care that much. (South-East Europe)

Last edited by Geralt; 02-28-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote