Thread: Typos in ebooks
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #214
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
No, it isn't only you. Those formatting irregularities bother me too. Amazon shouldn't have used that example in their advert, and it's amazing that they didn't scrutinize it more carefully before publishing.

It's super-easy to create an em-dash in MS Word. There's a feature called AutoCorrect. I use MS Word 2007, so these instructions apply to that version. To check how your AutoCorrect is set up, click on the circle-thingy in the upper-left corner in Word (called "Office Button"). Click on "Word Options," then "Proofing," "AutoCorrect Options," and "AutoFormat." If you check the box that says "hyphens (--) with dash (—)," then every time you type a word followed by two hyphens in a row and another word, the two hyphens turn into an em-dash automatically.

When I'm working with HTML to create an e-book, I insert this code in the HTML wherever the em-dash appears:

Code:
—
I'm not sure that's always necessary, but I also make similar HTML changes for curly quotes, apostrophes, etc.
When you use Word for the source document, do you fix the garbage Word inserts when saved as filtered HTML?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote