View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
@moggler88: It all depends. WM5-WM6.1 are fine. PPC 2003 also works well. I wouldn't go any further back than that. Look for a late model, not abused, PDA with a 3.2" or larger screen and SD card support. Those will prove about the most versatile, economical, and generally useful ebook reader you can own for a reasonable price. It will also keep your music and your agenda, if you want it to.

You can then load Mobipocket, Gower Point microBook, and Fictionwise/eReader/B&N eReader and read just about any format ever made. If you're masochistic, Adobe's Pocket PDF Reader also works, but won't be much use unless you happen across a tagged PDF. For ePubs, the new Freda reader seems to be the up and coming thing. I like it.

Things to avoid:
-Worn or non-functioning keys (although you may be able to map around some)
-A spiking touch-screen digitizer (I write a lot, so this is actually my most frequent failure mode)
-Scratched or abused touch-screens; go for ones where the previous owner used a screen protector
-Flaky battery compartment latch switches. This was a horrible design feature that someone should have been shot for adding. The switch was less reliable than the door latch, and gave frequent, annoying false alarms.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote