View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #65
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Cookie View Post
Today I phoned Kobo to get some help. I was on the phone for one hour and I still don’t have an answer for this . I have been trying to transfer some files from my computers to my new Kobo Arc. I downloaded the Adobe reader app because some of my files are going to be PDF. So far I can only see the files that are jpeg through Gallery.
Open the Acrobat Reader app.
Click on the menu icon in the top-left of the title bar.
Switch to Documents.
Click the dropdown in the title bar and select Folder View.
Navigate your way to to where ever you stored the PDF you want to read.

Quote:
When I am transferring files to my Kobo I am not sure where they’re supposed to go, so I try putting some in the Kobo folder but I still can not see them on my tablet even when I open Adobe reader.
They can go pretty much anywhere. Most apps'll move or copy them to their own spot (not Acrobat Reader, though). For your PDFs, unless you're the obsessive type who has to have everything perfectly organized, I'd suggest just creating a PDFs directory in the main folder (/sdcard) and putting them there so you can find them easily.

For the Kobo app, you have to use the Import menu option (and even then you can only import DRM-free ePub files)....

Quote:
By the way if I try transferring files to my Kobo without opening it to the point where I see the folders it doesn’t work, they will not transfer.
Well, yeah. You have to actually go in and place them somewhere inside the /sdcard folder, preferably in a subfolder there.

Quote:
The Kobo support people do not know how to do this, yesterday I was told that I need Overdrive to read PDF files and was also told that Adobe reader doesn’t work on Kobo.
Unfortunately, from the sounds of it, the Support people don't really know about the Arc and might think you're talking about one of the eInk ereaders, or perhaps the Vox...

Quote:
When I want to unplug my Kobo from my computer I do not get an “eject” box. Right now when my Kobo is hooked to my computer I can see the files that I have transferred on it. I am running Windows XP with SP3.
The Arc doesn't attach as a traditional removable storage device, and seems to do all write operations immediately instead of caching them. Still, it's probably best to wait 10 seconds or so after the last time you access a file on the Arc (opening a file, editing a file, or copying a file to it, for example) before unplugging it.

Quote:
Some of the files that I would like to transfer are in Word, can I still view them on my Kobo and which app do I need for that?
Unfortunately, I have no idea which apps there are, or which are best, but I'm certain there's plenty in the Play Store. Do a search for "office", perhaps.

Quote:
Also I got a free book that never downloaded to my Kobo.
You should've gotten two free books inside the Kobo app - a Star Trek comic and a book of photographs. And maybe a third, "Margarita Nights" (I think that's it), an epub - not sure if it comes with the Arc, though, as I'd gotten it when logging in on a non-Arc device.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote