View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #25
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
It’s gratifying to discover so many satisfied customers. My experience has been more mixed.

I’ve bought covers in a box that looked great and cost less but turned out to be paper thin in actual practice: they gave no protection for the reader and little to even get hold of either so why bother? I have other covers that will not stay shut without being tied shut. They were the floppy cover type that looked great, like they would certainly protect the screen but in practice I was reluctant to toss my reader into a backpack for fear that cover would not protect the screen any better than the paper thin type.

I understand that things that are used wear out. Even well made covers begin to see-saw the front cover over time or show scuff marks. I’d rather buy a new cover from time to time than have to replace my eBook reader, but I’ve also had covers that started to wear out within a few months. Build quality is harder to spot especially when you’re shopping online.

I certainly have others that work fine and lasted a year or more, no problems; I’m not complaining about all of them. My complaint is that of several covers for the Paperwhite that attracted me they all appeared to be of the kind that don’t stay closed without a strap. That floppy front cover worries me about construction quality. They were rather expensive, too, and I can’t understand why any company would go to all the trouble of producing a very attractive product and omit a critical part. Reader covers should be attractive but they have to protect the eBook reader.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote