View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
Rock Lobster
PI for hire.
Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I keep a notebook handy, just in case.
I left the chronic confessor detailing the fifty plus poisonings that he'd accomplished in his life and moved on to the next door. "Nekokami" it said on the label. I looked at "Pinwheel."

"She's very unlikely to have been the murderer. Pacifist by nature. Violently opposed to violence, in fact."

"Let's just see what she saw, then, shall we?" I pushed the door open and walked in. A cat that looked strangely porcelain-like sat on a couch, furiously typing on a laptop.

"Five page paper, my hairly tail! How can this professor expect us to come in with anything less than twenty pages!"

I coughed discreetly. Then loudly, since I'd been ignored.

"Yes? How may I help you? Did you want to buy a tee shirt?"

"Not today. I'm here to ask about the murdered guy in the next room. Where were you when it happened."

The cat looked around and blinked. "There was a murder?"

"About three hours ago. Fellow named pshrynk. Did you know him?"

"Well of course, everyone knows him. Bit of a hack writer and overcharges for everyday advice. $300 my bum! I'm pretty certain I would have gotten over it on my own!"

"Did he have any enemies?" I asked. I wrote down the bit about $300 with my LiveScribe pen. It was a lot handier now that they had hand sized notepads.

"Oh, I don't think that anyone really has any enemies. Just misunderstandings that haven't been resolved, yet."

I scratched my head at that. There were a few guys in prison whom I was pretty certain I had understood completely who would have liked to get a piece of my hide.

"Did you do it?" I asked again. Who knew, it might work once.

"Oh, heavens no! I am opposed to violence completely!" the cat started grooming herself nervously.

"Are you sure?"

"I'M A BLOODY QUAKER, YOU MORON! Oh what a giveaway!" The cat jumped down off the couch and put a paper bag over her head.

"Oh, now you've done it!" said "Pinwheel." "Now we'll all have to sing 'In Ancient Times'. Again."

I wrote down in my notebook that Nekokami probably wasn't the culprit. Although she did have some twine laying beside her couch that was similar to the weave of the jacket that the stiff had been wearing.