View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #39
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Yep, I agree with you there...never mess with lawyers...^^

Anyway, the only one here who might get into trouble with Bookeen is Delphidb since he is the one who posted the files necessary for converting devices like the STAReBOOK to a Gen3 and he had/has some kind of agreement with Bookeen if I remember correctly.
Bookeen seems pretty unlikely to sue anyone anyway since their legal status is pretty slippery anyway and Mobipocket would be pretty stupid to sue somebody for using their software...and I'm not convinced that it really is illegal to install the Cybook mobi reader on another device, but I don't have the necessary contractual information from mobipocket about that so I can't say for sure, maybe somebody can dig it up.

Modifying it surely is illegal, ripping the DRM of mobi files is also pretty sure to get you into trouble, but installing on another device...I'm not sure, but I'm no lawyer (luckily) so I don't have to know stuff like that.

And one last thing....nobody is distributing Mobi software illegally here...Bookeen offers the Firmware on their website, free for all who want it...
I have no agreement with Bookeen. (I'm not employed by Bookeen and do not, at this time, work for any company which *is* in a relationship with Bookeen. ) And it was not *I* who modified the build538 update firmware to allow it to initially install onto the Netronix/STAReBOOK/etc. I simply posted a link to the modified files.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote