View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #520
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Beta for v1.6.0

A number of people have mentioned wanting to be able to automatically populate a list based on a tag or custom column value. You might for instance have calibre set to automatically add a tag for newly added books. This feature will allow having a list where such books get automatically placed on a list, and if set to autosync will be placed on your device the next time it is connected. I'm sure there are other uses people will come up with (e.g. wanting to have a Science Fiction list based on a tag, or having an unread list based on a Yes/No column or whatever).

There is a new section on the configuration screen where you define how your list will be populated:
  • Manually add/remove items
  • Auto populated from books on device
  • Auto populated from column

Manually add/remove items is the same as the default existing behaviour, where it is up to you to add/edit or remove items from the list and change their order.

Auto populated from books on device is the new version of what was previously a sync option. The behaviour is the same as previous. Use this if you want a tag or custom column to automatically be updated based on whether a book is on the device. Such automatic lists cannot be manually edited or have their order changed.

Auto populated from column is the new option, and has a suboption available of specifying the column it should check, and the value that the column must have in order to put it on the list. As with the auto device list you cannot manually add/remove from the list other than by actually changing the tag/custom column value it is looking for.

An automatic column based list is dynamically constructed when either you sync to a device, or you choose the View List menu option. So note that the count of items on the list shown on the View List menu is going to be incorrect until you actually do one of those two activities.

Finally I have also added a little quirk to the behaviour if you set the "Clear this list after a sync" option. It didn't make sense to me to just generally allow the user to set/remove some additional custom column/tag based on a book being added or removed from such an automatic list. However I did want to support a scenario where someone puts an "AddToDevice" or whatever tag for their new books, setup a list based on this tag, set the list to automatically clear after sync, thereby also removing the "AddToDevice" tag from those books so the list is now empty and won't get those books put on the list again. Most won't use it but it is there if someone wants to do things that way.

Please let me know what you think...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ReadingList.png
Views:	278
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	96551  

Last edited by kiwidude; 11-23-2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Removed attachment as officially released
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote