Thread: Dictionary FAQ
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 02:34 AM   #65
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsis View Post
What can I do to solve this? There has to be some way to get Swedish words translated (or explained), right? What am I doing wrong? Is there something wrong with my device? My device language is English.
According to some Amazon reviews, the dictionary that you bought doesn't work on a Paperwhite. Most likely there's a problem with the dictionary and not your device, but to exclude device problems, it couldn't hurt to reset it as this is known to fix some dictionary problems.

Some time ago, I created a free Swedish-English Kindle dictionary, which you can download from MR, and use for testing purposes. (It works fine on my K3.)

Simply download my dictionary, copy it to the \documents folder on the Kindle via USB, and test it on your Kindle Touch. (Delete your Swedish dictionary first.)
If the language metadata of your Swedish books is set to Swedish, it should show translations for the most common Swedish words, if you select a word in a Swedish book. (The dictionary has a limited coverage, try selecting common Swedish words.)

If Swedish dictionary lookup works with my dictionary, but not with the one that you bought, try re-downloading your dictionary from Amazon. If it still doesn't work, ask Amazon for a refund.

BTW, dictionaries also have input and output language metadata that you can only change with Java Mobi Metadata Editor.
You may want to check the input and output language metadata of your dictionary with Java Mobi Metadata Editor and change them if necessary. (The dictionary input language should be sv (1053).)

EDIT:
As tomsen has pointed out, it's important to transfer dictionaries via USB.

Last edited by Doitsu; 01-05-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote