View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 03:16 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
The vintage British thriller writers can be very good:

Try Desmond Bagley, and early Alistair Maclean (his last books were well below par, sadly). Hammond Innes veers towards adventure-thriller, but The Angry Mountain, Wreckers Must Breathe, the White South, and many others, are all good value. In his early days, Jack Higgins wrote a variety of thrillers including The Eagle has Landed, East of Desolation, and the like before settling into the somewhat repetitive series featuring Sean Dillon and Co. (Higgins also wrote three cop thrillers set in, if I remember right, Leeds, which are interesting in their own right.)
I grew up on those. I have been rereading Desmond Bagley recently and have thoroughly enjoyed them. The interesting thing is that when I was young, I read Maclean a lot more. But, I have absolutely no desire to pick his books up now. I hadn't thought of Hammond Innes. I might have a look around the house to see what we have.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote