View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
While battery life is less important, speed may be an issue when using a memory card. I haven't gotten any sort of actual comparison in my other thread on speed with memory stick on the 500 compared to the same sort of card on the 505 (I'll just bring the memory stick into Border's and try it, I guess).

What I have observed is that with about 300 book on a memory stick (4GB but well under the 2GB of data which the 500 will recognize) it takes a long time to place or remove a bookmark in the current book, even if it's one of the internal memory books and not one that's on the card. Removing the card returned the action to instantaneous.

I don't know how things may have changed on the 505 but clearly the good folks at Sony have a long way to go to speed things up to where the memory cards and the internal memory function indentically and the location of the book being read doesn't make a difference.

I understand the enticement of having an entire library on a memory stick or SD card, but I can get around 300 novels (most LRF files converted from PG files with perhaps 30 or so commercially published files). With my current reading schedule (about an hour per day, unfortunately) it takes me a week or so to go through most of the novels (longer for some Dickens and Collins and Austen books), so I have about 6 years' worth of books on my reader currently. Certainly enough for a lengthy vacation!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote