View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I am going to ignore the fact you did not absorb the stickies in this section before posting.

Calibre does not do as well withe Periodical collections:

Mine is: Analog Science Fiction and Fact (Analog SF&F)

You can't use the Short name because all issues have the same name

That leaves a choice. The title must include a Tie Breaker.

You can include Volume#/Issue # with the title
That begs 2 (or more) questions: how to find a issue by date or odd date ranges, what happens if the numbering changes.

Analog is Monthly, Except... They publish a Yearly Double Issue (2 months in one volume(#) that broke the volume=date method)

I use a mixture of Month# Year with the title to allow a sort (within the base title) by Month

Analog 07 1974
or
Analog 07-08 2003 <the double issue. It did not always exist in the early years

I chose title as the place to show the range naming because series indexes (numeric here) don't allow ranges or 3rd levels and I wanted the sort to work for Export as well)

I use the (Hierarchical) Series to allow grouping:
Analog SF and F[1974.07]
Analog SF and F[2003.07] The lower month. There is no 2003.08

The title allow grouping by Month in year order

I used Leading 0 Numeric Months to keep the sort in Month order.
April August December
01 02 12

All this leads to heavy Metadata editing and great difficulties in downloading metadata (my names do not match other sources known names. And those are really inconsistent anyway)

Be prepared for work

Last edited by theducks; 03-10-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Continued
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote