View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 03:45 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggheadbooks1 View Post
@Kovid: this isn't Amazon saying this, it's some forum user who may or may not have his own agenda.

Amazon will accept .mobi files for submission to their site; all are converted into their proprietary .azw format (which I understand is a variation of mobi). DRM is applied to Amazon books at the upload stage; not in advance; and the DRM coding is added then. Not having any experience submitting a .mobi file to Amazon I can't say what would happen if I did and tried to apply DRM.

But DRM isn't really my issue. My issue is whether the formatting preserved in the .mobi file would get corrupted by Kindle; ie., whether the Kindle would override the .mobi coding as Kindle does with HTML and apply things like automatic indents, which is the curse we're trying to work around. (I'd like to know which Kindle genius thought overriding someone's paragraph formatting was a good idea.) When I tested a Calibre .mobi file that was converted to .azw through Kindle's free service for Kindle owners (I don't have a Kindle, an acquaintance did this for me), the formatting was preserved.

Has anyone ever tried to upload a book in a .mobi format created by Calibre to Amazon Kindle? If so, what were the results?

Cheers,
Michelle
As Kovid himself knows, or perhaps simply doesn't recall, I don't have any "agenda" with regard to this information. Amazon most certainly did say it; I sent the emails from them directly to him last year, along with the books that didn't work on K4PC post-DRM, (and their original versions) with the kind permission of the author. Kovid--I believe you may recall this from last summer? I know that it annoyed you, and you as much as stated that you wouldn't waste time working on it.

Whether or not it's some super-secret conspiracy agenda by Amazon, or whether it is a genuine technical issue having to do with, as Amazon told me, adequate space in the headers or lack thereof, has nothing to do with me whatsoever.

And since I'm having to suffer imprecatory nonsense about whether or not I have a "hidden agenda" in simply restating what Amazon stated, and reporting my own experiences with DRM'ed Kindle books not functioning on the Kindle4 apps, perhaps someone ELSE would be good enough to do their own experiments, with their own books, or their own clients' books, at their own expense, and their clients' expense, and ASK Amazon themselves, instead of libeling the messenger?

Thanks. I'm sorry I bothered to tell anyone.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote