View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #67
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
You can put BN books on your Sony without converting? That is news to me. Oh, right, there is that update that they keep talking about but not releasing. And when they do Sony is sure to release an update to all of its existing readers because Sony is so good about releasing updates.

You can put IBooks on your Sony without converting? That is news to me. Heck, it is the one DRM that has not been broken.

Last I checked none of those readers sell books that can be read on a Kindle.
Sony just did an update on the PRS-950, and has upgraded their previous series readers to support the current EPUB DRM, something they weren't even obligated to do, so yes I do expect that this update will be available.

Quote:
Sony is the only device that you mention that predates the Kindle. So BN, Kobo, and Apple all chose a format and DRM that could not be read on the most popular reader at the time, the Kindle, but Amazon is the one at fault. Using your logic, Amazon had chosen EPub and BN, Kobo, and Apple all chose Mobi, Amazon would still be bad because the other e-readers chose a different format after the K1 was being sold and just before the K2 was announced.

So Amazon needs to choose a time machine, go back in time, and change its format choice so it chooses the "right" format before the other e-readers are announced and repeat this loop endlessly because its competition will choose a different format and DRM.
It's a little hard to make any sense out of this, but let's assume that you are trying to imply with your 'time machine' comment that Amazon just couldn't have done it any other way.

No time machine needed, just the willingness to SUPPORT your products and update them to keep pace with current technology.

I see your point about Amazon having already dug themselves a hole by picking a preparatory format first, so now they just couldn't possibly change, yada, yada, yada

Really, is that so? Tell this to Sony, who did EXACTLY THIS, not only adding EPUB support to their original proprietary LRF format in ALL their new PRS readers, but also UPDATING their older products to support EPUB.

Then they converted their online Sony Store to also use the newer Format.

But, [whine] Amazon has sooooooo many more books than Sony, they could never, never, never convert them all! Really? Tell this to Google, the only company with MORE titles available than Amazon, who quickly converted and NOW OFFERS THEM IN EPUB FORMAT.

Quote:
None of the companies are bad. None of the companies are good. They are businesses trying to make a profit. BN, Kobo, and Apple all chose EPub because they did not want their customers buying from Amazon. It was a business decision.
Not bad? I've heard that Amazon's new motto is -

"Don't do evil? Sorry, you have us confused with the other guys!"

Actually my main beef isn't with Amazon as a whole, just with the Kindle and Kindle Store. I would agree that if the Kindle Store worked like the rest of Amazon, with vendors competing side by side with Amazon to sell you a Kindle book. With private parties competing to sell you their USED Kindle books. Then in that case, I wouldn't mind using Amazon at all.

Until they do, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Or more correctly, agree to agree, because they agree they want to play these B.S. proprietary games, and I agree I WON'T SHOP THERE.

Quote:
And since removing DRM is really easy I am not worried about any of this.
Thanks SOOOO much for pointing this out.

I just LOVE it when Kindle owners don't want to live with the consequences of their decision to buy a Kindle, and so routinely STRIP DRM to get around the STUPID DESIGNED IN LIMITATIONS of their device, AND THEN BRAG ABOUT IT.

Thanks to this kind of talk, I for one won't be a bit surprised when we wake up one fine morning and find that Adobe, Amazon, and B&N, etc. have found a new nearly unbreakable scheme, and paid off our government to pass even more draconian laws to insure that their nifty new scheme is never broken. (should there actually be a death penalty involved, or is a 50 year prison sentence enough?)

As I have said, the option to strip DRM should be a last resort for exceptional circumstances, not something you should be using on a daily basis to deal with your Swindles designed in issues.

Last edited by delphin; 02-16-2011 at 10:51 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote