View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #346
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Now that you have had it for a few more hours, is it still quiet? The fan only goes in at a certain temperature? I would assume there is a noticeable difference in battery Life, enough to affect your work?
No problems with the fan (as in "cooling", not myself or my wife).
I've resetted both, Surface RT and Surface Pro, last night in parallel.
I've stressed them both to the limit for about 8 hours: Downloading tons of apps, magazines and books, testing apps back and forth.
I'd say, the fan was on maybe 10% to 20% of the time. I didn't recognise any variations in fan noise. It seems rather digital: It's on or off.

It gets warm rather quickly on the back panel. Warm, but not hot.
I've read somewhere, the fan would recognise the holding position and adjust accordingly so it doesn't exhaust in your face. I haven't checked this out yet, I didn't actually feel any air flow so far. Only hear the slight whisper.
On this level I'm perfectly fine. My MacBook Air, especially when moving huge chunks of files, can be way noisier. But of course I haven't been even close to stressing my Surface Pro to a similar level as my (beloved) MacBook Air in day-to-day operations.

I couldn't really test the battery so far.
I expect about half the battery duration of Surface RT = ca. 5 hours for Surface Pro.
So far, this seems realistic, but I can't really tell.

I'm a bit torn:
On one hand, I love Surface Pro: Stylish, "industrial" and "valuable" design. Sheer endless possibilites due to legacy Windows apps/software.
On the other hand, quite frankly, I don't really see the niche yet.
If I want to have a mobile "working horse", I can use MacBook Air or similar notebooks/ultrabooks.
If I want to have a fun tablet, Kindle Fire HD 8.9" perfectly delivers for 1/3rd of the money.
To me, as a collector and gadgeteer, it's a great addition. But I'd never claim my hobby being "necessary" or "reasonable".
But for me it will be working great. Surface RT already more or less eliminated my lust for Android tablets. I did prefer them for some time over iOS because of the open (file) system. With Windows tablets, this need is fulfilled perfectly.
iOS on the other hand always was a "toy" for me, never a "working horse". Depending on the number, diversity and quality of apps on Windows tablets, I may not need iOS anymore either.
Still: I'll most certainly buy all Kindle tablets = Android. And I'd go for an iPad mini with imprved specs anytime...

Last edited by mgmueller; 04-04-2013 at 11:29 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote