View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #51
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No matter how "clear" it may seem to many (and I'm not singling out BillSmithBooks here since he so obviously included an "IMHO" ) that physical in-store browing would/should naturally be most people's preference, it just doesn't hold up across the board. I for one, find online book (forget ebook) "discoverability" vastly easier, much more efficient and sooo much more pleasant than the in-store browsing experience ever was. Even long before I personally became involved with ebooks, I had given up the physical browsing experience in favor of online research and online ordering of physical books. I considered online bookstores a godsend.
I'm the same way. I find it a lot easier and more comfortable to browse on-line, although I do stop by our book stores when I'm nearby. I just hardly find anything I want to take home or even bother looking up later.

In the store, I have to depend on the cover to catch my eye, then see what the blurb says. Yeah, I can flip through the book, but I usually don't do that very often. Then have to check out the front listing and try to figure out if it's in a series or not. If it is, then unless the earlier books are there, it's not coming home with me. (I hate reading a series out of order)

On-line, I can still see the cover, still read the blurb, sometimes 'flip through' the inside. But I also have easy access to sites that'll tell me quickly if it's in a series, look to see if the earlier books are ebooks yet and check out their prices. I can also check out the reviews, (especially the bad ones) and look to see what other people bought.

There's just a ton more information on an ebook accessable on-line than there is in person. Otherwise, I'd have to hope the sales person likes my genre and is knowledgeable, or maybe I strike up a conversation with a real-live person who's hanging around the same isle I am. Doesn't happen all that often. Otherwise, it's a lot of time wandering up and down the isle, waiting for something to call out to me. I walk away empty handed most of the time.

Browsing on-line is just a lot faster, with a lot more information available as well as personal reviews, and the inventory a whole lot bigger than any book store. For me, it's a lot more fun.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote