View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #39
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Even if jabref would run on the iLiad, you'd have the problem of switching between it and the text you are reading, wouldn't you? We need a window switcher (or a split screen) to be able to do reading and note-taking directly on the iLiad.
Agreed. And it would need to be fast otherwise I think it would interrupt my flow too much. I'm not sure that things refreshes will get too much faster with the current hardware, unless it really is a software issue. I have startd using ssh to login to and poke around the iliad and was surprised how fast it was. I now have a feel for the lag caused by the E-ink.

So, for now, I am focussing on making a PC-based bib manager work *with* the iliad rather than *on* the iliad.

BTW, I made a terrible movie on youtube showing the integrated iliad and jabref-on-PC. It's so bad I'll have to explain what I am doing:

SETUP:
i) PDFs are on the iliad (in fact on the USB in the iliad)
ii) jabref is running on the PC
iii) I have the USB shared using samba (i.e. a windows share)
iv) I have custom file handlers

MOVIE:
i) I select a ref, then right-click to open it on the PC for viewing
ii) I then merge scribbles and open it on the PC for viewing
iii) I then show that there is nothing in the "readnow" directory on the iliad
iv) Next I choose the "make symlink in readnow" menu option in jabref
v) then I show that there is now a link in readnow and open the PDF on the iliad.
vi) I fumble around trying to get the pen out then write "Hi" on the the screen
vii) I go back to the PC and merge and view again and show that "Hi" is now there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-34CA6Cg4
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote