View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Do you have any budget for artwork, or maybe a talented friend who'd like to go in it with you? Or maybe you have the talent yourself? Some simple line drawings can be effective even on monochrome e-readers. Examples: Alice in Wonderland springs to mind as one I've re-read on my e-reader not long ago, and even an adult book: "Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)" by Jerome K. Jerome - see the copy here on MobileRead, it is very well formatted. Another example I've read recently, that falls somewhere in between in age groups, is "One on a Time" by A.A.Milne - I got a copy off Project Gutenberg.

Since it's a children's book a larger font is also appropriate - and given what you suggested might the full length of Heart of Rock (10,000 words wasn't it?) I would have thought it would probably stretch out to well over 8 pages. (I wrote a short story of 4300 words recently that went 8 sides of A4.)

Aside from all that, no I don't see a problem with a book being a collection of short stories, though you may have to take extra care to make sure the three-part Heart of Rock really does look like related parts rather than separate stories (you don't want people reading them out of order).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote