View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Kobo Reader Settings Tweaks

I've not been entirely satisfied with the granularity of the text controls on the Kobo, particularly on the Mini, where one would like to be able to have finer-gained control over the margins and line spacing, in order to balance the amount of text on the display against the readability.

Turns out that the issue is simply that the sliders don't offer fine enough control over some of the parameters: the text size, margins, and line spacing.

This is typical arrogant programmer thinking, IMHO, where the coder presumes to know how the users want to use the product.

In any case, it turns out that there are workaround for the issue: one can edit a text configuration file on the Kobo, and get finer control of the desired layout.

To do this, plug the Kobo into a USB port, and set your computer to show hidden files. You will find a directory .kobo stored on the device.

Locate the file in this directory called .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf

MAKE A BACKUP COPY!

Then, using a text editor, open the file, and near the bottom of the file you will find these lines:
readingFontSize=23
readingLeftMargin=3
readingLineHeight=1.3
readingRightMargin=3

The meaning of each should be fairly obvious. I chose a left margin setting of 2, right margin = 1 (because I use Left Justification), and line spacing of 1.2. You can also adjust font size to suit yourself, with finer control than the slider provides.

Save the file, Power the reader Off and On again, and enjoy...
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote