View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Unreasonable I know, because Vista and XP before that were pinnacles of secure code.
Well, I don't want to get into a history lesson... but since XP SP2 Windows has been very secure. Yes, there have been vulnerabilities found in various parts of it since then... but most of the issue was due to the fact that all users of XP pretty much ran as admin. If you know the *nix world you know that most people never run as admin/root.

But, due to the lazyness of Windows developers 99% of apps didn't run if you ran as a standard users... this wasn't really windows fault, but it is the perception.

They are changing that perception and actually being more pro-active with UAC. If people see the UAC prompt alot it is due to the fact the MS is now enforcing those best practices. Of course, now the perception is that "Vista" is the problem because of the UAC prompt showing so often... but the UAC prompt is only a response to an application that is doing something it probably shouldn't be doing such as accessing system folders or settings, etc.

Also, when Apple or Linux has the same issues or makes the same mistakes people are much more forgiving... I just don't understand that either? Did you know FireFox 2 had more security vulnerabilities reported against it than IE 7 did in the same time frames?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote