View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 03:23 AM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you want to submit Word documents to Smashwords and you don't want your ordered lists to start at 1 ... then I simply don't see any other recourse but to manually number your ToCs.

Even if you could get the epub created with an ol that started at something other than "one", it wouldn't display consistently across the range of devices/apps out there reading it. It's always been an issue that most people have solved by just not using ordered lists at all.
Doesn't work for bupkus on any ADE-based readers. Trust me, I've tried it; if you have to restart a list, and try the ol start number = X bit, while you can get it to work for MOBI, it won't work on most ePUB readers today. So, even if you did get it to work at SW, you'd be very unhappy with the reports you'd get back from buyers on devices like the Nook, for example.

(Secondly, should'nt this be in the ePUB forum, not here? I'm not sure I understand why a Word-->Smashwords question is here in the Sigil forum. Mods, you may wish to move this to ePUB, where s/he is likely to get more answers, as folks in that sub-forum may have experience with this.)

Thirdly: why are your TOC entries numbered? Are they in sections or parts, or a technical/academic book that requires an outline-formatted layout? if you'll explain further, someone might be able to help you; maybe something like using AHK with regex to do some of the numbering for you manually. OR, if you give up on using Word-->SW, and you use Sigil, you might find that using headers could get you at least partway there. Just a thought. As I said, the folks in the ePUB forum are more likely to have experience with this than here in the Sigil forum.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote