View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #50
Nim Chimpsky
Nim Chimpsky began at the beginning.

Device: none
Brickable devices are badly-designed devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histerius View Post
Quote:
It is unfair that Amazon have to suffer because of this.
This is true. It's not moral judgment, it's common sense you can apply to any device. For example, you buy a car, put rocket fuel and it and after it explodes you expect the manufacturer to take it and give you a new car? I think that everybody has right to hack the device as much as (s)he likes, but if you break device with your doing why should Amazon give you a new one? I think Amazon customer service is too good.
Calling something 'unfair' is, clearly, a 'moral judgment' regardless of whether you agree with that judgment or not. But a more relevant point is that no piece of electronic equipment should be able to be 'broken' or 'bricked' by the installation or operation of software.

If, as is the case with some mp3 players I have dealt with, a device can become 'bricked', i.e., inoperable, because of anything the user can do to the device without physically damaging or modifying it, that is a design flaw that the manufacturer should be held responsible for. Proper design should include the ability to restore the device's operating system with some kind of reset, perhaps including a reloading of necessary software via some built-in communications link, such as USB or Bluetooth, or the insertion of a memory card.

It's not clear to me from the above discussion whether the Kindle can, in fact, be reset in that way. If it can't, shame on Amazon. If it can, I wonder why Amazon agreed to send cloudyvisions a new one.
Nim Chimpsky is offline   Reply With Quote