View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkndog View Post
Need a little help here, thought maybe some of you with a Nook Color could give me some info.

My kids love playing with my iPad and I'm wanting to get the kids tablets for Christmas. The older kids are allowed to bring tablets to school to use for research on the internet. There's no way I can afford iPads for them all and I notice I could get a refurb Nook Color for about $150.00. I know that, as a tablet, the Nook Color would not be as versatile or as fast as an iPad, but for my kids I think a tablet that is geared toward reading is a good thing. But they'll also want the games, internet browsing and email as well. So, a few questions (with observations):

I looked at the Barnes and Nobel app store, everything seems expensive compared to the Apple app store and Amazon. Books especially. With my iPad (and my Kindle) I can find free books and side load - I assume that is possible with the Nook? If so, what is the best format?

Are the children's interactive books worth the price? (I have a 1st grader that could use some reading help). Are there some good low priced ones out there?

If I have multiple Nooks, can BN purchased books and games be shared between the two? For example, one BN account on multiple Nooks?

Does Netflix work on the Nook Color? without rooting?

What is the general feeling on the default browser and email client? Can the email client support multiple accounts?

Do graphical games (ok, Angry Birds) run smoothly on the Nook Color?

Anybody have experience with educational apps? What did you think of them?

I've considered the Nook Tablet because of the dual processors and additional memory. I've also considered a cheap general purpose tablet in line with the Archos 80 G9 that has dual processors and a more generic interface - and it would have access to the android market. But these options are more expensive, and neither have a lot of reviews yet.

Thanks for any info, sorry for the long post. If I do decide to go with a Nook Color, anybody upgrading to a tablet that might want to give me a deal?
The 1.4 update next month will add Netflix to the NC. With 1.4 the NC will get about the same software features at the NT.

There is no advertising in NC apps. That is why some apps are not free on the NC, but are free on other platforms.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote