View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #19
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So what are you saying? That you're happy for us to spend hours creating nice versions of these books for you to download free of charge, but you're unwilling to pay for the results of such labour?
Nope. The question was, what titles would people like to see available, and that's the question I answered. If you would rather sell the e-book editions that you create, then don't make them available for free. I'm not entirely clear on why I'm being yelled at here. Somebody asked, I answered.

Quote:
Presumably, by extension, you'd also never pay for printed versions of out-of-copyright authors, either?
Not anymore, no. That's the whole point of out-of-copyright and e-books and Project Gutenberg.

Quote:
Sorry - I don't mean to be rude, but those of us who create books put a great deal of time and effort into it, and it would be nice to think that all that work is perceived as having at least some value.
In no way did I mean to diminish the work and time you put in creating these.
I just don't feel like paying any kind of professional publisher for an out-of-copyright work, no matter how nicely it's put together. A private person, somebody who does it on the side, even as a hobby - different matter altogether. There could conceivably be donations, a Paypal reimbursement scheme of sorts - sure, why not. I'm not at all opposed to that.

Quote:
Why not have a go at creating a nice Mobi version of the book you mentioned yourself, using "Book Designer"? Might give you an appreciation of how much work we put into creating all these book that are available for download .
I would, if my precious spare time wasn't totally taken up with trying to put together a complete volume of Lovecraft which, by the way, I would love to upload once it's done, were it not for the fact that I'm mightily confused about his copyright status in the US. And that's just without the illustrations.

Hope this clears thing up.
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote