Thread: Cover Design
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
Dusty Bottoms
Banned
Dusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipse

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
So, I just got myself a trial copy of Aperture (w/Toonit!) and GIMP and Inkscape.

Anyone ever play with these? What are your thoughts on them for creative design/coverart?

What styles/fonts/etc. do you guys use?

What catches your eye on a (digital) bookstore?
I pretty much use Gimp / Inkscape exclusively now, but I did use Photoshop and Illustrator for a long time. For me some book covers are works of art and some are merely great designs and have been thought out more than just slapping some text over a picture. Never ever ever ever use Comic Sans (or derivatives), it's the worst typeface on earth, and probably in the Universe.

At the moment I'm going in a completely different direction with cover art and making it part of a 'whole' design, with the website and the rest being part of that design. In that vein I've colour coded the covers, making them flat and uniform across the board. Gollanz did this in the 80's for their hardbacks-they had bright yellow jackets with nothing but the title and author on there (really caught your eye wherever you were in the book shop or library).

Here's the original and the new version to show you what I'm doing. Also, because I'm doing the new color-coded versions in Inkscape they're vectors, which means I can scale in any direction with little degradation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redmoon1.png
Views:	309
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	51483   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDDOG1.PNG
Views:	323
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	51484  
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote