Thread: Seriousness DRM != Piracy
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul View Post
They own the merchandise and they have the right to distribute it as they see fit. Now the way I see it is this. They have a right to do what they want to with what is there own.

This is, I guess the point I was trying to make in another thread, when all I succeeded in doing was alienating everyone.
I can see some sense in this argument. But I disagree.

When I had no choice whether or not to accept the DRM restrictions on certain ebooks, I chose not to buy.

Thanks to DRM removal tools, I now have a choice as to whether I accept the DRM restrictions. I think you're arguing that it's not legal and or ethical for me to buy the ebook and yet not accept the DRM restrictions.

No-one's sure whether it's legal or not to do this. I suspect it is legal for personal use.

Whether or not it's legal, I think it's ethical to buy DRMed ebooks and remove the DRM for my own use. The action has no negative impact on anyone - especially not the retailer, publisher and author, who now have made a sale that they would have previously lost.

Going to the more general point, retailers (or manufacturers or creators) are not allowed to impose any conditions they like on a sale. There are laws in most countries restricting their ability to impose conditions on the purchaser. In the US, I believe there's the "doctrine of first sale" that applies to books. In the UK there's the "Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts" regulations, and various other consumer protection laws.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote