View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
The iCloud stuff is pretty confusing-especially with the whole transition from MobileMe, multiple accounts, etc.
Macworld has been doing a great job of posting how-tos for iCloud and iOS5.

Here is Lex Friedman's article about sharing accounts:

Quote:
It's fairly easy to get started with iCloud if you use a single Apple ID solely on your own devices. But many families--including mine--share a single Apple ID across multiple people and devices, so that they can purchase apps and music once and give everybody in the family access. Must you all share that same Apple ID for iCloud, too?

No, you mustn't, and you probably shouldn't either. Just because my wife and I both want to own Hanging With Friends, that doesn't mean that we want to share the same contacts, inbox, or bookmarks. Using our existing Apple ID for iCloud would lead to just such unintended, undesired sharing. And sharing iCloud accounts would also mean that we have to share our backup space; we get 5GB of free iCloud storage from Apple, but merely updating my iPad and iPhone gobbled up more than 3 of those gigabytes. If my wife wanted to back up her iPad and iPhone to the same iCloud account as me, we'd be up iCloud creek without a parachute--by which I mean, we'd quickly run out of free space.

The good news is that you can continue to share an Apple ID for iTunes purchases with your family while maintaining individual, separate iCloud accounts. And the even better news is that Apple totally approves of your doing so, so you needn't feel guilty about it.
And here is Serenity Caldwell's article:

Quote:
But what if I share my Apple ID? If multiple people use your Apple ID (say, if you have one central account for your, your spouse’s, and your children’s purchases), you can still use this ID among you for purchases, but each person will have to create a separate iCloud account for syncing and backup.

For example, if you have an Apple ID (or MobileMe account) you use between you, your significant other, and your daughter for purchases, but they'd like to take advantage of iCloud's sync and storage features, you'll want to do the following: Have each family member sign up for an iCloud account for their backups, mail, etc; then, after setting up iCloud on their iOS devices, go to the Store preference pane within the Settings app, sign out of the iCloud account (which will populate there automatically after you sign up), then sign into the original Apple ID you use for purchases.

If the Apple ID your family uses for purchases is also your primary account for syncing (if it's a MobileMe account, for example), you personally can use it for iCloud; but your family members will need to create separate iCloud accounts so that they don't accidentally end up syncing with your information.

Last edited by kjk; 10-14-2011 at 09:15 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote