View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I'm not arguing they should not make a profit, but rather that if they can't sell for less there will be very few buyers when (if) a $350 device with 9.7" screen becomes available. At that point, either iRex cuts prices, or they provide convincing value added (software and/or hardware), or they go out of business.
I guess If they sell the iLiad for 350$ the *WILL* get out of business Like a manager of mine once said in a hard price negotiation, they: "Look we know, if we are not going to buy that project from you, your are out business", him: "Likely, but if we sell for *that* price you demand, we will be out of business even faster".

If there really isn't a market for a high quality device like the iLiad, I guess the only thing to go is to cut on it characteristics, like replace the WACOM Stylus with a cheap touchscreen, where you can no longer scribble on it. Or to use a cheaper CPU, or remove flash card support, or remove WIFI support, etc. But I guess people would be unhappy about this kind of "trimmed down" version also.

BTW: As I read your link, they say explicitly that touchscreen and WiFi is an (optional) option, and I guess this isn't included in the 350€ price...

As said, I personally would never want to buy a windows CE device, no matter how much cheaper it is. And also I trust in things only to be existing when they are really out, not some obscure crystal ball anouncement. Especially Astak employees posting directly here, IMHO its kind of dubios... who knows.

Last edited by axel77; 04-16-2008 at 04:13 PM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote