View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
PDF emailing very impressive

I did some experiments with the PDF email conversion Amazon offers with the Kindle... I gotta say, I was very impressed.

I'm pretty good at OCR and scanning, but I had a few texts (old encyclopedias) that had two columns, lots of pictures and a massive page count (700 pgs).

Well, I tried a number of programs to pull out a good OCR scan. OmniPage, Adobe Acrobat, and the AbbyReader that came with my OpticBook. All were more or less complete failures.

Well, I mailed the files to myself... a few minutes later the volumes appeared on my Kindle - just about perfect. Sure, no table of contents and the first 20 pages were a mess of legalese, names, indexes, etc... But the text itself was full and intact. And since this is something I'll be searching and not reading casually, it's just wonderful.

I gotta say... very impressed. The inline pictures even came out pretty nice - limited, of course, by the poor picture quality on the Kindle.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote