Thread: Duokan 2013
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #198
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I was looking forward to testing this build, since previous version wouldn't open some valid ePubs that I had.

This version opened all ePubs that the previous version had problems with. I also tested it with some .mobi files and they all seemed to work fine.

They also re-introduced the PDF trimming features that the very first (non-Lite) Duokan versions had. (I still prefer the Smart Layout mode.)

Unfortunately, the new ePub engine no longer supports RTL languages such as Arabic and Hebrew. (Arabic letters are displayed disjointed and LTR; Hebrew letters aren't displayed at all.)

Also the dictionary lookup feature still doesn't work properly. If you press the right arrow key the cursor now moves to the next letter instead of the next word, which makes dictionary lookup rather time-consuming for non-Asian languages. (BTW, you can only use StarDict dictionaries; mobi dictionaries aren't supported.)
Even if you manage to position the cursor before a word, dictionary lookup still doesn't work with accented characters, e.g. French words, because the StarDict word segmentation algorithm was incorrectly implemented. (Duokan Lite considers accented characters word delimiters.)

This is rather annoying since the developers are aware of this problem.

Last edited by Doitsu; 01-04-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote