View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 05:07 AM   #375
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
Finished listening to "The Cassandra Project" by Jack McDevitt and Mike Resnick and was very disappointed. Way too much political meandering and too little science fiction. A real letdown from his normally excellent work.
Thanks for the warning. I have it on my wish list, even though I wasn't too thrilled by the Kindle sample I have read. I think this might be a McDevitt book I won't read.

I have been finishing the following audiobooks in the past two weeks:

The Red Tree by Caitlin R. Kiernan
Strange story about a writer trying to finish a book, but apparently she is slowly losing her mind through the course of the story. I liked it a lot, but I generally like books that have a lot of atmosphere rather than action. I guess it might not be to everyone's taste. This was performed by a multiple cast, most of it read by Katherine Kellgren. They all did a wonderful job.

Cold Revenge by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
A real mess, if you ask me. I used to like the Agent Pendergast series a lot, but I had the impression that the authors are losing their touch. A highly convoluted, unbelievable plot with a few good bits scattered around. I listened to this in German and the narrator didn't do anything to make it better (though he is one of the most prolific narrators of German audiobooks).

Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper
This is actually the first book in her The Dark is Rising sequence. Not nearly as good as the the book that gave the series its name, but a decent listen, if you like this kind of thing. It's about three siblings spending their holidays in Cornwall where they find a strange manuscript.

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham
I picked this up at the Audible daily deals. It's about a family trying to get away from Christmas for a change, but you can already guess how this will turn out. It was read by Dennis Boutsikaris, who is a fairly competent reader able to carry you through a mediocre story.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote