View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Recommendations Wanted: Australian-set Books by Australian Writers

I'm on a bit of a foreign* writer kick at the moment, as I'm finding it an amazing way to get genuine insight into another culture.

My latest discovery is the South African crime writer Deon Meyer. When I read his books it almost feels like I'm reading a science fiction or fantasy book, in that his stories are set in a whole other world, with another set of cultural values, terminology and geography than one that I'm used to.

And unlike with sci-fi and fantasy, I like that when reading a foreign author, who is primarily writing for his local audience, you don't get any of the explanatory exposition and self-concious world-building you often get in those other genres.

Anyway... as the thread title would suggest, I'm looking for recommendations of Australian authors that write stories set in Australia. Anyone's got any suggestions?

* Foreign to me, obviously.

Last edited by K. Molen; 10-17-2012 at 09:15 PM.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote