View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #22
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Heck - I was going to mention the Dresden books.

Note: I have a 40-75 minute commute each way and the only way I avoid road-rage is distracting myself with Audiobooks.

Scott Brick does a lot of the Preston and Child novels and I now associate his voice with these authors. These are so good I almost regret arriving home and not being able to continue the stories.

The Jasper Fford books (Ayre Affair and Lost in a Good Book) have a delightfully British female reader that adds to the flavor of the books.

The Janet Evanovitch "Plum" novels have had 2 readers (CJ Critt and ... someone else) and both add enthusiasm and personality to the characters. Damb-Skippy!

I just started a new Carl Hiaasan and after hearing many of his books in my car have found them to be very road-worthy. Interesting characters, snarky humor but not so deep that you cannot pick up the plot after a long weekend. Great choices for audio.

Avoid the Rizzoli and Isles books on audiobook. I just finished "The Apprentice" and the reader (who sounds like Jane Lynch but is not) pronounces Rizzoli as "Ritz-Ole" and does not do a Boston accent very well/at all. The first book ("The Surgeon") had a better reader.

I did not like a Louis McMaster Bujold books on Audiobook. This is hard to write as she is a favorite author - but for some reason her stories are hard to follow on audio. I think the characters/story are so involved it does not work too well. (or perhaps I did not like the reader - it's been a few years). Buy "Cryoburn" and get the CD with all her other novels in electronic format.

I agree that Tina Fey reading her novel "Bossy Pants" is outstanding. You should also try Lisa Sccotoline reading her own book "Why my third husband will be a dog". It's a collection of newspaper articles she wrote for her own town newspaper put into a book. Her voice contains humor, sadness, confusion in all the correct places.

Last edited by FatDog; 06-03-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Wanted to add more.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote