View Single Post
Old 07-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #30
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
That was good advice, Twitchly. If you let yourself try to follow every bit of sailing and ship minutia, you will lose track of the story. Unless, of course, you're a sailor, in which case it adds to the story, I'm told.

What I discovered over time is that by just letting it wash over me, it eventually started to make some sense. But it's the least important part of the narrative.

On the question of readers, it's true that I like Patrick Tull best. I started with him in the in the 1980's when I was listening on Books on Tape, and so he'll always be the voice of these stories for me. But I've listened to the Vance narrations, and they are very good. He is a much faster reader, whereas Tull is more of a narrator, IMHO. This is easily seen by looking at the length of the books - Tull's are about 20% longer than Vance's. Which I like - it gives me time at those narrative pauses to catch up in my own head with where we are. Some folks find Tull too slow. Obviously, I'm not in that group. I will say that I rarely feel "rushed" with the Vance ones, so he hasn't crossed over into that side of the narrative equation.

I'm going to be reading the Vance narrative for most of this first book, at least, just for some variety and to see if he grows on me. And since my Library had it available for immediate borrowing.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote