View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #120
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkysnoopy View Post
I just sold my t2 and bought a kindle pw . I love my t2 but pw has built in light so I sold t2 .

What I discovered was horrifying because in t2 the browser is lightning fast and I can download or borrow book from my library . In kindle pw I cannot do that , firstly it has to convert to mobi format and I cannot access the Dropbox as easily as my t2 . And the browser in pw still experimental . If anyone says its an advanced ereader , I'll tell them my foot . I really need to get rid of pw , as though the fonts can customized, but when new firmware updated automatically , I need to copy from my PC to pw again . The fonts in pw is super boring . And it's heavy... Feel so tired holding pw for reading , I have no prob with t2 . Yup, if t3 with or without light....I'll get it soon . At least no hassle to open my epubs in the stable and fully functional browser in Sony t1/t2/t3.
Next time post questions before actually selling a reader you like for another. At my library they now offer some mobi titles also, you might see if that's possible at your library.

I still love my PRS-350 as my reader of choice, there's just no doubt it's superior in just about everything, software and hardware, even though it's over 2 years old. But I really need a light and was tired of carrying a separate light with me at times or using the bulkier Sony cover with light when out. If I was certain the next line of Sonys would have a built-in light, I'd have waited for that.

I went with the Kobo Glo because it does handle epubs, it uses infrared for the touch (my skin and capacitive touch, which is on the Kindle PW, just don't work well, and I read a lot outdoors even in the winter which would mean buying a $40 pair of thin gloves just to use the reader and not even be warm), and the size and weight, it's not much bigger than the 350s, about 1/4" wider and 1/2" taller, 2mm thicker, and 30g heavier. The Glo also has pretty decent font customization, better than the Kindle. You can also borrow epubs directly from the library, although I haven't tried it yet, I usually download to my PC first.

While there's a few things I really don't like compared to the Sony, they're livable for the light. But if and when Sony comes out with a front-lit reader, I'll buy it as long as it's the usual stability that Sony is known for.

Edit: I just tested out the browser and it's remarkably fast from my home network, so no complaints at all on the speed. It doesn't seem to let you switch orientation to landscape mode, which would probably help for some webpages. No idea how that compares to the T1-T2.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 05-03-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote